Paramount's Push to Rapidly Close Warner Deal Now Stalled

Deep News
07/27

Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery were on the verge of finalizing a merger, but the deal is now stuck in legal limbo, putting promised cost savings and strategic plans on hold while competitors advance.

An antitrust lawsuit has temporarily blocked the combination of the two companies. The $81 billion transaction is being challenged in federal court, with a trial likely to extend into next year. Last week, Paramount announced it would not close the deal until all litigation, including a case brought by California and 11 other states and the Writers Guild of America, is resolved, with a new deadline of June 1, 2027, whichever comes first.

The standoff has left both companies in a difficult operating position. Paramount is now focused entirely on legal discovery and court proceedings, with merger integration efforts at a standstill. Meanwhile, competitors are continuing to invest, acquire content, and expand their business.

The merger agreement restricts Warner Bros. Discovery from making significant acquisitions, selling assets, or finalizing certain content distribution deals without Paramount's approval. Even new executive hires require permission. Warner Bros. Discovery management says these restrictions have not materially impacted daily operations, noting that HBO Max subscriber growth continues and its studios remain creative leaders.

The longer the legal battle drags on, the higher the costs. The deal has already secured approvals from the US Department of Justice, the European Union, and China. Paramount must maintain stable financing for the merger and, starting in October, will pay Warner Bros. Discovery shareholders a hefty quarterly delay fee of $6.5 billion as compensation. This structure was designed to show Paramount's commitment to a quick close, signaling greater certainty compared to rival bidder Netflix. If the merger ultimately fails, Warner Bros. Discovery would receive a $70 billion break-up fee.

"The longer the delay, the more real the costs become in terms of financing, integration risk, deal expenses, and lost strategic flexibility," said Barak Orbach, a business law professor at the University of Arizona. This legal wrangling also delays the core value of the merger: cost reduction and strategic execution. Paramount had promised investors $6 billion in annual cost savings within three years of closing, but all savings depend on the deal being completed. Both companies remain tied to the declining traditional TV business, with shrinking ad revenue and pay-TV subscribers. Management had planned to use the combined scale to cut costs, improve distribution fees, and reshape the TV business, but those plans are now shelved.

A combined company would own major platforms like CBS, CNN, MTV, Discovery Channel, Food Network, TNT, and Comedy Central. The entire Hollywood ecosystem is feeling the ripple effects. Paramount had planned to ramp up in-house production, requiring more external projects. One executive noted that the hanging deal means Hollywood has lost a major buyer. Warner Bros. Discovery has experienced similar merger gridlock before. In 2016, AT&T's planned acquisition of Time Warner faced a Justice Department antitrust lawsuit, delaying the deal for nearly 20 months. Management later admitted the lengthy legal battle hurt competitiveness as streaming rivals invested heavily during that window.

Inside Paramount, the mood is urgent. Since SkyDance Media's acquisition of Paramount last year, CEO David Ellison has been pushing to quickly secure Warner Bros. Discovery. "Management believed this merger was the fastest path to scale, but now they are stuck in a multi-year legal dispute," said Rich Greenfield, an analyst at LightShed Partners. Employees at Warner Bros. Discovery, meanwhile, are unsettled. "The situation is very bad," Greenfield said. "No one can be sure their job is safe." Competitors have sensed an opportunity. Last week, Warner Bros. Discovery sued Amazon, alleging that its entertainment division poached a senior HBO Max marketing executive who was still under contract, and also accused Amazon of trying to recruit another executive. Amazon declined to comment.

For more information, please open the Sina Finance app.

免責聲明:投資有風險,本文並非投資建議,以上內容不應被視為任何金融產品的購買或出售要約、建議或邀請,作者或其他用戶的任何相關討論、評論或帖子也不應被視為此類內容。本文僅供一般參考,不考慮您的個人投資目標、財務狀況或需求。TTM對信息的準確性和完整性不承擔任何責任或保證,投資者應自行研究並在投資前尋求專業建議。

熱議股票

  1. 1
     
     
     
     
  2. 2
     
     
     
     
  3. 3
     
     
     
     
  4. 4
     
     
     
     
  5. 5
     
     
     
     
  6. 6
     
     
     
     
  7. 7
     
     
     
     
  8. 8
     
     
     
     
  9. 9
     
     
     
     
  10. 10