Executives at Ferrari NV were aware that their first electric vehicle would attract controversy, but they likely did not anticipate the intensity of the backlash. This week, the highly anticipated new model, named "Luce," was met with a wave of criticism immediately after its debut. The spacious vehicle features a glass roof and was designed by a team previously responsible for key Apple products. However, its steep price of €550,000 (approximately $640,000) and an exterior design that bears a resemblance to more affordable mass-market electric cars like the Nissan Leaf have made it a target of widespread mockery.
Memes poking fun at its design quickly spread online, with some netizens even comparing it to Jaguar's widely criticized brand redesign in late 2024. Long-time Ferrari owners and enthusiasts, who had imagined the brand's first electric car for years, expressed their disappointment on Ferrari forums. "My goodness, it's just ugly," said Luc Poirier, a Montreal-based real estate entrepreneur with over 40 Ferraris, when asked about the model. "How can they justify selling this for four or five hundred thousand? It's baffling."
Even in a promotional video released by Ferrari days before the launch, some employees appeared surprised by the car's look. "Unexpected," said one; "Surprising," remarked another. Following the high-profile unveiling, Ferrari's stock price dropped 8% on Tuesday, wiping over $5 billion from the market value of Europe's most valuable automaker.
Despite the controversy, Ferrari proceeded to showcase the vehicle to prominent figures. Italian President Sergio Mattarella viewed it, after which it was transported to the residence of Pope Leo XIV at Castel Gandolfo near Rome, where the Pope was photographed beside a white Luce.
In reality, Ferrari was aware the design would be divisive. The company aims to use the Luce to expand the definition of Ferrari's "uniqueness." When questioned about the negative feedback, a company spokesperson pointed to a recent LinkedIn post by CEO Benedetto Vigna, who wrote: "True innovation is never democratic. Breakthrough ideas rarely stem from immediate consensus."
In an interview before the launch, Ferrari Chairman John Elkann acknowledged that the car breaks from tradition and addresses common industry challenges for modern high-end electric vehicles. "This is absolutely a car for the future," he stated.
Looking back to 2021 when the Luce project was first announced, global enthusiasm for electric vehicles was at its peak. Today, the market landscape has shifted significantly: U.S. consumer interest in EVs is cooling, Chinese automakers are vying for market dominance, and European manufacturers are facing billions in asset write-downs due to earlier aggressive expansions in the sector.
"I think they saw a massive trend at the time," said Jim Meek, President of the Ferrari Club of America. "The industry consensus then was 'you have to go electric'... but the market isn't as fervent as it was a few years ago."
Meek noted that while much of the feedback from owners aligns with online skepticism, certain details of the new car have piqued buyer interest—from its interior to the four-motor configuration and low center of gravity designed to enhance handling. "They can't wait to see what it actually looks like and, more importantly, how it drives," he said.
For Ferrari, this model sets several brand firsts: the initial pure electric powertrain, the first five-seater, and the first production car with a price tag exceeding $600,000. Additionally, the company broke from its tradition of relying solely on in-house design teams by collaborating with former Apple Chief Designer Jony Ive and his team.
Crucially, this also represents the company's first major test: without the roaring, powerful internal combustion engine that built the brand's legend, will fans still pay for a Ferrari that merely bears the logo? This disruptive launch has given Ferrari's long-time critics a new target.
"If I said what I really think, it would hurt Ferrari. We risk ruining a legendary brand," former Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo told local media. During his tenure, he famously stated that Ferrari would never build an electric car. "At the very least, I hope they remove that horse from the car," he remarked sarcastically, referring to Ferrari's iconic prancing horse emblem.
However, the design team behind the car has strongly defended this bold move. "Ferrari didn't need to do this. Precisely because the innovation is so significant, it is controversial and high-risk," Ive said in an interview hosted by tech journalist Cleo Abram, released on YouTube on Monday.
Ferrari Chief Designer Flavio Manzoni, in the same interview, noted that the Luce is not the first time the automaker has broken a promise not to enter a certain segment. A previous chairman had vowed the company would never produce a sport utility vehicle. Yet, Ferrari launched the Purosangue in 2022, reimagining the traditionally bulky SUV form with a fresh visual approach. "It was heavily criticized then, but now it's the best-selling model. The first electric car will go through the same process," Manzoni said. "Criticism is part of this journey."
Nevertheless, those who dismiss the Luce may not be the key audience. "If Ferrari builds a car, customers will come. That has always been Ferrari's model," wrote Bernstein auto analyst Stephen Reitman in a client note. "We believe this business formula will continue to work."
Reitman pointed out that this is largely due to Ferrari's unique sales approach: the company meticulously selects who is eligible to purchase its most exclusive models based on customer loyalty and past purchase history. Other buyers seek these cars simply to complete their Ferrari collections. "For Ferrari, this is a revolutionary and highly controversial car entering a segment where pure electric demand has been extremely limited so far," Reitman stated. "There have been and will be naysayers who argue Ferrari has gone too far this time."