TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Ganis Samoedra Murharyono, the strategic partner manager for ChromeOS Indonesia, has answered the Attorney General's Office (AGO) summons for questioning as a witness in the alleged Chromebook corruption case involving the Indonesian Ministry of Education. Head of the AGO Legal Information Center, Harli Siregar, said Ganis arrived at the building on Wednesday morning, July 2, 2025, at around 09:00 a.m. local time.
According to Harli, the investigators also questioned six other witnesses. "One of them was in marketing, yes. The Strategic Partner Manager for ChromeOS Indonesia," he said, adding that the probing was ongoing.
Google previously responded to the probing of its two employees by the AGO, regarding the alleged corruption case related to the procurement of Chromebooks at the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology for the 2019-2022 period.
"Although we cannot comment on an ongoing investigation, we are committed to complying with all applicable laws, including those in Indonesia," Google said in a statement sent to Tempo on Tuesday, July 1, 2025.
Google also reaffirmed its commitment to empowering Indonesian students and teachers and expanding access to education and technology across the archipelago.
The AGO alleges unlawful actions in the procurement, which is valued at Rp9.9 trillion, with Rp6.3 trillion sourced from special allocation funds. According to prosecutors, an April 2020 technical study recommended Windows, citing concerns about Chromebooks' reliance on a stable internet connection, which is inconsistent with Indonesia's uneven network coverage.
However, a subsequent technical study review in June 2020 highlighted the advantages of Chromebooks, leading to their procurement. The AGO is also investigating the substance of a meeting held on May 6, 2020, which occurred between these two technical studies.
To date, the AGO has questioned approximately 40 witnesses, including former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim, his former special staff Fiona Handayani, and former consultant to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology, Ibrahim Arif.
Another former special staff to Nadiem, Jurist Tan, has been summoned three times but has not responded as he is currently abroad. The AGO has requested a travel ban for these four individuals.
Editor’s Choice: Google Responds to Employee Summons in Chromebook Corruption Case
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Disclaimer: Investing carries risk. This is not financial advice. The above content should not be regarded as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation on acquiring or disposing of any financial products, any associated discussions, comments, or posts by author or other users should not be considered as such either. It is solely for general information purpose only, which does not consider your own investment objectives, financial situations or needs. TTM assumes no responsibility or warranty for the accuracy and completeness of the information, investors should do their own research and may seek professional advice before investing.