Aug 4 (Reuters) - The New York Post Media Group plans to launch the California Post in early 2026 in print and digital formats, including a mobile app, the News Corp-owned NWSA.O tabloid said on Monday.
Nick Papps, a veteran at News Corp, has been named the Los Angeles-headquartered publication's editor-in-chief, the group said.
The group is known for operating the New York Post and its entertainment news segment, Page Six.
The California Post's launch comes at a time when the state's prominent publication, Los Angeles Times, has been facing turmoil.
The newspaper laid off more than 20% of its newsroom staff in January 2024, as it faced financial losses and leadership exits, including Executive Editor Kevin Merida and Managing Editor Sara Yasin.
At the time, LA Times' owner, Patrick Soon-Shiong, said the paper was losing $30 million to $40 million annually.
Last month, Soon-Shiong said he plans an IPO of the 143-year-old publication within the next year.
(Reporting by Juby Babu in Mexico City; Editing by Leroy Leo)
((Juby.Babu@thomsonreuters.com;))