Mediobanca Shareholders Reject Making $7 Billion Bid for Banca Generali -- Update

Dow Jones
Aug 21, 2025
 

By Elena Vardon

 

Mediobanca shareholders rejected the Italian bank's roughly $7 billion offer for smaller peer Banca Generali, dealing a blow to the chief executive's plans to expand its wealth-management business.

Chief Executive Alberto Nagel described the failed bid as a missed opportunity for the development of Mediobanca and the Italian financial system.

Mediobanca launched an offer for Assicurazioni Generali's private-banking arm in April to boost its wealth-management business. As Assicurazioni Generali's top shareholder, Mediobanca proposed exchanging its roughly 13% stake to fund the acquisition in a deal valued at 6.3 billion euros ($7.34 billion) at the time.

The move was also part of an effort to block an unsolicited takeover approach for Mediobanca from state-backed rival Monte dei Paschi di Siena, which valued the company at 13.3 billion euros when it was announced in January. MPS's offer, which currently implies a discount, is open until Sept. 8.

The meeting on Thursday was attended by shareholders representing 78% of Mediobanca's share capital, it said. To pass, the proposal needed at least half of the votes in favor, but only received 35%.

The bank's top shareholder Delfin--an investment vehicle for the family of late eyewear billionaire Leonardo Del Vecchio--abstained. Its second largest shareholder--a holding company for Italian tycoon Francesco Gaetano Caltagirone--rejected the proposal, it said.

Delfin and Caltagirone, who together hold roughly 28% of the bank, also have key stakes in Assicurazioni Generali and MPS, and are backing MPS's bid for Mediobanca.

The failed takeover marks the latest twist in a wave of consolidation efforts sweeping through Italy's crowded banking market, which was kicked off by UniCredit last year when it set its sights on Banco BPM. Smaller lenders have also scurried to launch offers to defend their market positions. UniCredit, which is also a Mediobanca shareholder, recently withdrew its bid following a drawn-out battle on opposition from the Italian government.

Banca Generali shares were down 3.1% in early afternoon trading in Europe after the announcement while Mediobanca's shares slipped 1.6%.

 

Write to Elena Vardon at elena.vardon@wsj.com

 

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

August 21, 2025 07:36 ET (11:36 GMT)

Copyright (c) 2025 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

At the request of the copyright holder, you need to log in to view this content

Disclaimer: Investing carries risk. This is not financial advice. The above content should not be regarded as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation on acquiring or disposing of any financial products, any associated discussions, comments, or posts by author or other users should not be considered as such either. It is solely for general information purpose only, which does not consider your own investment objectives, financial situations or needs. TTM assumes no responsibility or warranty for the accuracy and completeness of the information, investors should do their own research and may seek professional advice before investing.

Most Discussed

  1. 1
     
     
     
     
  2. 2
     
     
     
     
  3. 3
     
     
     
     
  4. 4
     
     
     
     
  5. 5
     
     
     
     
  6. 6
     
     
     
     
  7. 7
     
     
     
     
  8. 8
     
     
     
     
  9. 9
     
     
     
     
  10. 10