4.3 How to check if you need to pay tax in the US

If you are a U.S. tax resident, you’ll need to pay U.S. income tax on your worldwide income including earnings made through Tiger Trade or Tiger Brokers, regardless of where you live.

However, there is a Double tax agreement (DTA) between New Zealand and the United States. Under this DTA, you will usually be allowed a tax credit so as avoid paying tax twice on the same income.

You will need to find out your residency status both in New Zealand and the United States to figure out how the DTAs apply to your income.

You can be a tax resident in both New Zealand and the United States at the same time.

To check if you are a U.S. tax resident, as a general matter, under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (Code), all U.S. citizens and U.S. residents are treated as U.S. tax residents. For a non-U.S. citizen, you will be treated as a U.S. tax resident if you meet either the “substantial presence test” or “green card test” on an annual calendar year basis.

To check if you are a New Zealand tax resident, please refer to (2.1).



Disclaimer: The content of this page is for educational purposes only. It is designed to help you understand the potential tax obligations that may apply to you when investing in financial products. Tiger Broker does not provide any advice, including tax advice, and is not responsible for providing any guidance, opinions, or suggestions about tax for you. If you have any questions about your personal circumstances and tax obligation, we suggest you contact your tax advisor directly for more information.

Was this helpful?